inspired by trailblazing female photographer, lee miller
In conjunction with our current special exhibition The Woman Who Broke Boundaries: Photographer Lee Miller, we invited you to submit an original photograph that tells a story of a significant moment from the past decade. Now we need your help determining a contest winner. Cast your vote for one of our finalists below.
View all of our contest entries in our Photojournalism Contest Exhibit Online.
Below are our contest finalists. Click each photo to enlarge.
About the Contest:
The special exhibition, The Woman Who Broke Boundaries: Photographer Lee Miller, celebrates the boundary breaking female photographer Lee Miller. Among her many dimensions (celebrity model and groundbreaking artist, to name a few), Miller broke the convention that war correspondents and photojournalists at that time were male. During WWII, she traveled with the U.S. Army as an officially accredited war correspondent for Vogue. Miller bore witness to the horrors of war and captured extraordinary coverage from D-Day through the liberation of Paris to the fall of the concentration camps.
Photojournalism employs powerful images to tell a story about the time. What stories have you captured in the last decade? In the spirit of the ambitious and unconventional Lee Miller, The Dalí Museum invites you to step into the role of photojournalist and share a photograph of a significant moment you have captured over the last 10 years.
How it works:
1. Upload an original photograph that tells the story of a significant moment from the past decade, including a caption (200 characters or less) describing the photo. Please submit files as jpgs (2MB or less). Submissions are due by September 14, 2021.
2. All entries will be juried by a panel of Dalí Museum staff members, narrowing the submissions to three finalists, and posted on TheDali.org by September 28, 2021.
3. Public voting will run September 28-October 11, 2021 on TheDali.org.
4. Winners will be contacted and announced by October 12, 2021. The first place winner in each category will win the grand prize (including a Dalí Museum membership, collection catalog and merchandise from The Dalí Museum Store). The second and third place winners will receive individual prizes of Museum admission and merchandise from The Dalí Museum Store.
5. Following the contest, a selection of submissions will be included in an online exhibition on TheDali.org.
Entry Requirements & Judging Criteria
Photographs submitted must be original, taken by the submitter. Photos will be judged on the following criteria: originality, skill/technique, composition and lighting.
The Contest is open to residents of the 50 United States and its territories who are at least 13 years old at the time of entry. Entrants under 18 may only submit entries with the permission of their parent or legal guardian. All entries must be original photos, created by the entrant, and cannot have been previously published, won another competition or contest or been used for advertising or promotional purposes. Each entrant may submit only one (1) photo and must be submitted as a digital image in the following format: jpg (2MB or less) by Tuesday, September 14 at 11:59pm. No purchase necessary to enter or win. The Contest has no affiliation with Facebook, Instagram or any other third-party platform. We reserve the right to change these Rules at any time.
Image: Detail from “Fire masks”, Downshire Hill, London, England 1941 by Lee Miller (3840-8) © Lee Miller Archives England 2020. All Rights Reserved. www.leemiller.co.uk.