The Dalí on the “Fly” Art Mobile …
- is a themed, mobile classroom traveling trailer which draws connections between the artist Salvador Dalí and the worlds of math, science and dreams, from which he drew inspiration for his art.
- will visit all 88 Pinellas County (FL) elementary schools and exceptional student centers over a four-year period.
- will be seen by over 45,000 students, kindergarten through 5th grade.
- is a collaborative project of the Pinellas County School Board and The Dalí Museum.
- is designed as an introduction to museum culture, using a standards-based curriculum, aligning with the Pinellas County Elementary Art Educators’ learning goals.
- is only available at Pinellas County public elementary schools, and cannot be reserved or requested at other locations.
Why The “Fly”?
Inspired by Salvador Dalí’s obsession with verbal puns and visual plays on words, we encourage teachers and students to explore The Dalí on the “Fly” Art Mobile through the many and varied views from a fly’s eye. Dalí was intrigued by the parabolic design of the fly eye and the perspective that this inspires in viewing the world. The fly is a symbol of the multiple ways of seeing. The gadfly is also an iconic symbol in Spanish history and culture. The gadfly appears in many of Dalí’s paintings and references a Spanish Catalan folk legend about Saint Narciso. In this legend, on three occasions gadflies emerge from the tomb of St. Narciso to drive away French invaders. Dalí used this myth to underline the Catalan people’s strength against foreign influence and to express his patriotic devotion to his homeland’s independence.
Teacher Training Materials
Dalí Museum Gallery Tour with the Curator of Education
Peter Tush presents the 8 artworks featured in the Art Mobile to prepare teachers for their time with Art Mobile. The tour theme focuses on what inspired Dalí and his art: dreams, science and math.
Dalí on the “Fly”
Elementary School Dalí Museum Orientation Film
Dalí on the “Fly” (Closed-Captioned)
Closed-Captioned Elementary School Dalí Museum Orientation Film
Art Mobile TV/Monitor Instructions
Art Mobile TV/Video Monitor Instructions to Play Orientation Film
Vocabulary for students to learn prior to visiting the Dalí on The “Fly” Art Mobile
Dalí Museum Vocabulary
Vocabulary for teachers to prepare for their role as a museum tour guide of the Dalí on The “Fly” Art Mobile
Teacher Orientation Notes
Notes on the art reproductions and the 3D sculptures
PowerPoint: Dalí on the “Fly”
Dalí on the “Fly” orientation for teachers to prepare for their role as Art Mobile tour guide
Teacher Response Survey
Please submit completed Response Survey within two weeks of Art Mobile visit and receive 2 complimentary Dalí Museum admissions tickets. Only PCSB Art Teachers visiting The Dalí Art Mobile are able to receive redemption tickets.
Thank you to our sponsors and everyone involved in the process of creating this inspiring mobile Dalí Museum and to the art teachers who will bring the experience to life for thousands of elementary art students!