Job Title: Gallery Assistant
Reports to: Director of Visitor Experience
Department: Visitor, Volunteer, and Group Experience Office
Overview: The Gallery Assistant coordinates the day-to-day management of the Dreams of Dali virtual reality experience and assists with the virtual tour app and audio tour device and equipment needs of the museum. The specialist works directly with the Director of Visitor Experience on projects impacting the visitor experience at the museum through technological devices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Dreams of Dali Specialist
- Independently update standard operating procedures for the maintenance of the Dreams of Dali experience in the galleries for use by all specialists.
- Coordinate the production of instruction materials for visitors in English, Spanish, German, and French for an optimum experience with Dreams of Dali (virtual reality) through collaboration with the Marketing, IT, Facilities, and Visitor Experience departments
- Train staff Dreams of Dali specialists on the use of the virtual reality equipment and procedures for interaction with visitors at Dreams of Dali.
- Prepare a maintenance budget and requests for the Dreams of Dali equipment including hygiene items and replacement parts
- Create and maintain an inventory list for all Dreams of Dali equipment.
Virtual Tour App Specialist
- Oversee distribution, collection, charging, and maintenance/repair of all virtual tour app devices and auxiliary equipment when needed
- Collaborate with the Education, Marketing, Curatorial, and IT departments to expand content for the museum’s virtual tour app
- Be knowledgeable of and manage the MDM software system to maintain the virtual tour app software when needed.
- Obtain necessary training for hardware and software in support of the Virtual Tour App System.
- Be knowledgeable about the CMS for the virtual audio tour app for uploading and deletion of content for the museum
The job has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Below is an inclusive, but not exhaustive list of various knowledge, skills, and other characteristics that are necessary for effective performance in this position.
- The Dali Museum audio tour content and software requirements
- Apple hardware
- Apple Configurator
- Mobile device management (MDM) server software
- Content management system (CMS) software
- Rift software
- Associate or four-year accredited college degree in business, art history, communication, psychology, or non-profit organization.
- Microsoft Outlook
- Data entry
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Windows 10
- Proficient in planning, scheduling, documentation techniques
- Proficient in guest relations and communication protocols
- Proficient in presentation skills
- Proficient in database management
- Proficient in Power Point
- Friendly, conversational manner (verbal and email)
- Technical literacy
- Analytical Thinking
- Adaptive to change
- Highly developed personal interaction skills
- Ability to work regularly scheduled hours per week
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to work Saturdays, Sundays, and/or evenings when scheduled
- Ability to work in a dynamic and changing work environment
- Ability to effectively communicate with volunteers, staff, and visitors of the Museum
- Ability to multi-task in a dynamic work environment
- Ability to successfully adhere to times and schedules in conjunction with museum hours.
- Place the security of the Museum and its collection above all other considerations in the performance of all responsibilities
- Be responsible for keys for the Volunteer Lounge and the Theatre Projection Room
Physical Demands – The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 30 lbs.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk for extended periods of time, sit, stand for extended periods of time, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, talk, hear, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less)
- Peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point
- Ability to adjust focus (ability or adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus)
Work Environment – The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. This position is in a dynamic work environment with continual interruptions and requires continual reassessment of priorities to meet immediate needs.
Occasionally assist in areas unrelated to this job description
Note: Nothing in this job specification restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Critical features of this job are described under various headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. The above statements are strictly intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this position.